The time now is 08/21/14 - 15:59

JOIN RunningForums NOW!
FAQ Search    Articles Register Log in

sore ankles

www.runningforums.com Forum Index -> Starting Line

dmc
PostPosted: 07/17/06 - 10:56    Post subject: sore ankles
I am running about 20 mpw on asphalt (mostly) at about a 8:30 pace. I try to warm up before the runs and stretch afterwards. I have a soreness in my left ankle during the first 1/2 mile or so, then it goes away and i can run no problems. During the rest of the day the ankle feels very weak as i walk on it. The pain comes from just under the ankle bone on the outside of the left foot. Later in the day, i can't even do bunny hops or similar exercise. Could it be the angle of the streets i run on? I try to vary routes and sides of the street, and avoid concrete all together. Could it be my sneakers? They are new but I haven't been evaluated by a pro. They are Asics gel-nimbus that claim to be for a neutral running stride. Any thoughts? Thanks
Elfling
PostPosted: 07/23/06 - 20:33    Post subject:
Watch that ankle- I just took two weeks off because I ignored a "slight soreness" that turned into some real posterior tibial tendon pain.

Tips from my experience:
-Ice the ankle post-run. Fill a dishpan with water and icecubes, stick your foot all the way in, grimace and enjoy.
-Are you taking rest days? Are you running all your runs at the same pace and mileage? Vary your lengths and pace.
-Grass and trails are your friend. I'm limited to a lot of asphalt too, but I run in the grass on the side of the road during as much of the run as I can.

From what you're saying, it certainly sounds like tendon issues. Do you have trouble going up on your toes?
dmc
PostPosted: 07/25/06 - 14:08    Post subject:
Since the last post, I have cut my mileage back a bit and worked on going a little faster. My ankle doesn't bother me nearly as much. I am also icing it, stretching a bit more and ibuprofen. Since I have been working on upping my pace, my stride is more comfortable and natural. Maybe that was the problem.
Going up on my toes doesn't bother me, but if I roll my foot to the inside (arch side) I feel it on the outside of my ankle.
I have tried running on the grass next to the road, but the grass is very uneven and there are always surprises lurking in the grass. Shocked I also cannot get into a good rhythm, because I am constantly going from grass to driveway to sidewalk, etc.
Which is worse-uneven pavement(side of a road) or flat, even sidewalk?

Thanks
bjoiner
PostPosted: 07/25/06 - 18:27    Post subject:
Quote:
Which is worse-uneven pavement(side of a road) or flat, even sidewalk?

I was talking to a friend who is on the track team at my college about this. She said that running on the side of the road (near the sidewalk, but still on asphalt) is really hard on the hip-flexor.

Personally, I've been running on the sidewalk all of my "running career" and haven't found it to be as much of a problem as running on uneven surfaces. Just make sure your shoes are not worn out and if you are still having issues, you might try a more cushioned insole. (The ones that come with the shoe aren't very thick and you might do well with a better pair.)

Are you an overpronator or supinator?
dmc
PostPosted: 07/28/06 - 00:09    Post subject:
As far as I can gather, I have normal pronation. All of my shoes wear evenly. I have talked to some running store people and they came to the same conclusion. I just ran in a 5k last night and my ankle felt a little creaky as I was warming up, but was fine throughout the race. Immediately after the race, I could feel a little pain, but some stretching and cool down seemed to relax it. Since I cut my miles back and lengthened my stride, the ankle has been getting better. I am also going to wrap my ankle a bit for longer runs, to give it some support.

www.runningforums.com Forum Index -> Starting Line

Page 1 of 1